Re: X Server Crashing on DPMS Event

Barry Skidmore wrote:
I believe I am having a problem with the xserver failing whenever my
monitor's DPMS kicks in.  After either windowmaker or enlightenment have
run for 15 minutes, the window manager quits and I am put back into the
console with the following errors:
----
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 4.  Server aborting.

xinit: connection to X server lost.
----

I have all power management turned off in the BIOS, and do not have apm
or acpi installed.

I am using a ViewSonic VG150 LCD monitor, and according to the manual
and web site, there is no documented way of turning the monitor's DPMS
off.

you can use xset to control DPMS (when, what), see man xset for more info:

    To control Energy Star (DPMS) features:
        -dpms      Energy Star features off
        +dpms      Energy Star features on
         dpms [standby [suspend [off]]]
              force standby
              force suspend
              force off
              force on
              (also implicitly enables DPMS features)
              a timeout value of zero disables the mode

  are you sure it's dpms that causes the problem?

	erik