Re: moving apt's cache

Ross Boylan wrote:
> Currently, apt's cache is in /usr/var/cache/apt.

You must have overridden the default location.  That location above is
not a normal one.

> I would like to move that back to /var/cache/apt, thanks to new disk
> space.

Remove your customization and it will return to the default location.

> I recall some problems with this when I originally moved it, I think
> because some other files had pointers to the location.  That was quite
> awhile ago.  Does anybody know if it is safe to make the switch simply
> by editing
> Dir {
> 	Cache "/usr/var/cache/apt";
> };
> in apt.conf and mv'ing the files?

Yes, it should be safe to do that.  I have done that myself.  You will
need to 'apt-get update' afterward to resync the lists.  When I do
this I see warnings once through before things sync and then it is
clean afterward.

> By "problems" I mean that apt starts downloading all the debs again,
> seemingly not recognizing that it has them.

Hmm...  I don't see that.  Did you modify "Dir::State::Lists" too?

Bob