Re: Man not presenting the "-" character properly - charmap issue??

On Friday 04 June 2004 04:43 am, Conall O'Brien wrote:
> > The dash in front of "copy files and directories" is OK, but not the
> > later ones.
> >
> > Any idea what gives?
>
> What enviromental variables have you set? The output of "locale" without
> any parameters will tell you.
>

> Personally, I set $LANG and $LC_CTYPE to UTF-8 and $LC_MESASAGES to C
> using:
>
> export LC_MESSAGES=C
>

> I suspect it will solve your problem too.

All variables reported by locale are UTF-8.  $LANG is also UTF-8.

What you are implying is that the man typesetter is incapable of dealing with
anything but the C charmap.  Using C may solve my problem, but it is a
problem that shouldn't be there in the first place.  Something is wrong
somewhere, which is what I am trying to figure out.

Anyone have any thoughts?  Is man/groff broken, or is there some locale magic
that needs to be invoked before UTF-8 works properly?

Peter