Searching the web for clues

Tom Kuiper <tbhk@dsnra.jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

>> Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:19:06 -0400
>> From: Chris Metzler <cmetzler@speakeasy.net>
>> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>> Subject: Re: what happened to KDE?
>> OK.  A quick comment:  I would strongly recommend taking the time
>> to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html . . .in
>> particular, the part about "Before You Ask".  Searching the web,
>> searching the archives for this mailing list, and scanning the
>> documentation of the software for changes are all good things to
>> try to solve your problem.
>
> I spent about two hours searching the Debian website for anything relevant.
> Nothing. But then, I was probably searching with the wrong keywords.

I'll give you a tip right now:  Use google to do that instead.  You
could have saved a lot of trouble by making your last keyword on a
google search site:debian.org .  This would have limited google to
just machines that have a FQDN ending in debian.org instead of the
whole intarweb.

A functional, working understanding of your favorite search engine
goes a long way in this day and age, whether you're looking for
today's news or help with KDE.  Google makes it easy: If you use their
to avoid wasting time clicking around the advanced search form in the
future.

--
Paul Johnson
<baloo@ursine.ca>