Re: Lilo question..

Hello

Ishwar Rattan (<ishwar@pali.cps.cmich.edu>) wrote:

> I have Debian/testing on /dev/hda5, Mandrake-10.0 on /dev/hda7 and
> swap on /dev/hda1
>
> The /etc/lilo.conf (currently set up for Mandrake boot)
>
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> default="linux"
> prompt
> nowarn
> timeout=100
> message=xxxx
> menu-scheme=xxxx
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
> label="linux"
> root=/dev/hda7
> initrd-/boot/initrd.img
> append="xx..xx"
> vga=788
> read-only
> image= other-entries..
>
> System does boot correctly.
>
> I added the entry
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5
> label="debian"
> root=/dev/hda5
> initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.5
> append="xx...xx"
> read-only
>
> and when command /sbin/lio is run it generates the error
>
> Fatal: open /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5: No such file or directory

Probably because the kernel 2.6.5 is in the boot directory on hda5 (the
Debian system), but lilo was run from within Mandrake, and at that
time /boot is on hda7 and lilo cannot find the Debian Kernel.

You should either copy the kernel to the Mandrake boot directory, or
mount hda5 somewhere and point lilo to the correct location
(e.g. image=/mnt/debian/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5), or (this is what I normally
do) you configure a boot loader in Debian, save it to /dev/hda5
(boot=/dev/hda5 in lilo.conf on your Debian system), and you add an
entry

other=/dev/hda5
label=Debian

in the Mandrake lilo configuration. This is quite easy to maintain. If
you install a new Kernel on your Debian system, you do not need to boot
or chroot into your Mandrake system and reinstall lilo.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976