Re: Automounting user (NIS) accounts from Solaris to debian

Mauricio wrote:
> which is currently a nis client of a Solaris 8 box.  I would also
> like to be able to use, say, autofs to mount user partitions in the
> debian box.  How to do that?  I did not go very far besides
> installing the package (as in apt-get install autofs)

That is enough for host maps.

> and I created a /etc/auto.home and modified /etc/auto.master as
> follows (stolen off a solaris client which has automount running in
> the very same net):
>
> papaya:/home/neko# more /etc/auto.master /etc/auto.home
> ::::::::::::::
> /etc/auto.master
> ::::::::::::::
> # $Id: auto.master,v 1.2 1997/10/06 21:52:03 hpa Exp $
> # Sample auto.master file
> # Format of this file:
> # mountpoint map options
> # For details of the format look at autofs(5).
> /var/autofs/misc        /etc/auto.misc
> /var/autofs/net         /etc/auto.net

I always found it strange that /var/autofs/net was used in Debian.  On
commercial systems /net is the usual setting.  I always change this.

Does /var/autofs/net work for you?

  ls /var/autofs/net/some-other-machine

> # Biostat
> +auto_master
> /usr/users      auto.home
> ::::::::::::::
> /etc/auto.home
> ::::::::::::::
> +auto_home

I assume that 'ypcat' with your map names returns useful information
from NIS/YP?  I don't really use it this way myself.  I am only using
host maps with autofs.  But it seems like this is a likely source of
trouble.

> Then I started autofs:
>
> papaya:/home/neko# /etc/init.d/autofs reload
> Reloading automounter: checking for changes ... done.
> Starting automounter:  /var/autofs/misc /var/autofs/net /usr/usersdone.
> papaya:/home/neko# ps aux | grep autofs
> root      2792  0.0  0.2  1544  600 pts/0    S    17:05   0:00 grep autofs
> papaya:/home/neko#
>
> (nice that autofs does not seem to be running... or I am missing something)

You are missing that the daemon is 'automount' not 'autofs'.  The
autofs refers to the type of filesystem that automount is mounting.

A very important point is that you want to be using the autofs4 kernel
module and not the version 3 one.

  lsmod | grep autofs

Put 'autofs4' in /etc/modules.  The default load over of modules in
the autofs startup is 'modprobe autofs || modprobe autofs4' which
loads autofs v3 which is buggy, particularly with hierarchical disk
mounts.  You will need to avoid that code by making sure that autofs4
is loaded first.  The easiest is /etc/modules.

Bob