Re: Software Raid question

hi ya mike

On Wed, 26 May 2004, mike wrote:

> morning,
>
> I have a software Raid 1 setup with 2 disks.
> /dev/hdc1
> /dev/hdd1

that will be slow

> I've noticed that preformance has slowed a bit since the raid setup.
> I also have both disks on the same controller.
> Would it make a difference if the disks were on seperate controllers?
> ex.
> Move /dev/hdd1 to /dev/hda1, therefore raid would be
> /dev/hda1
> /dev/hdc1

hda and hdc will be faster and should be the "norm"

> If this does indeed help performance, is it safe to just edit the
> raidtab file and reboot? or will the raid array re-sync and wipe the data?

yes... assuming tht you fix all occurance  of hdc  to be hda
and hdd to be hdc  ( and doing so in the right order ;-0 )

( data should be safe...and hopefylly you have it backed up anyway )
( 	raid is NOT to be used as backups )

it should not need to resync and if it does... wait it out

c ya
alvin