upgradin from woody 2.2 to 2.6

Hello
i installed woody with its default kernel 2.2

i have 4 serial drives and 1 parallel normal
the 4 serials are on the sillicon image SIL 3114 , this machine will serve as RAID 0 , problem is Debian can not recognize them , and i have 2 NIC cards one built in intel to my IC7 mobo and one 3com 3csoho100b-tx , on lspci i get that they are unknown
so i thought about upgrding to 2.6.6
downloaded source and tar zxvf source.gz , cd /usr/src/linux , make menuconfig , and make-kpkg buildpackage , and it always fails , i was told i must install module-init-tools_backports.org , i got that , removed the modutils cos they conficted and placed it with module-init-tools_backports.org and still it did not work

what do i need to upgrade to 2.6.6 or just run my NIC cards and RAID  ?

thanks inadvance