Re: Label printers with linux drivers?

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Matthew Joyce wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a label printer which I can print from linux to, any
> ideas ?
> Do I need to find one with linux drivers, or just a compatible printer
> which supports a popular language like pcl ?
>
> Idealy I'd like a network printer, or I'd like to utilise an old HP
> JetDirect print server.
>
> Could I just get any cheap label printer and connect it to a windows
> client and use Samba to print from the linux server ?
>
> Advice appreciated.
>

> Matt Joyce
> Children's Cancer Institute Australia
> http://www.ccia.org.au

Theoretically, you can use slap to drive a Seiko printer, or pnm2lwxl to
drive a CoStar. The CoStar is supposed to work better and be a more
elegant solution.

I have had problems, though, getting mine to work -- the problems seem
more hardware than software, but unfortunately i can't report real
success.

Good luck.

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu