Re: Restoring /etc/inittab

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 17:40, Pierg75 wrote:

> Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
>> Um, no, you haven't.  If rm is aliased to 'rm -i' in root's
>> environment,
>> it should have prompted.  Unless he neglected to mention that he
>> actually did 'rm -rf' ...
>
> Somewhere i read that an alias should never be an alias of itself,
> something like alias rm='rm -i'

I'm fairly certain that's not the case, because I do it all the time!
Examples from by ~/.bashrc:

alias ls='ls --color=auto'
alias rm='rm -vi'
alias cp='cp -vi'
alias mv='mv -vi'
alias cal='cal -3m'                              # week starts on Monday

and I'm sure I got this idea from some reputable Unix books.  This way
rm always asks *except* when you use -f.