Re: Massive increase of spam on debian-*@l.d.o

Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2004-05-06 09:22:40 -0400, Adam Aube wrote:
>> That is one of the reasons unresponsiveness to abuse does not cost
>> broadband providers many customers - most of their customers have no
>> provider to switch to. The other reason (as I already pointed out) is
>> that most of their customers only care about speed and price - they don't
>> care about responsiveness to abuse.
>
> So, the only solution is to blacklist them.

If several large sites wholesale blacklisted major broadband providers
because of large amounts of junk and a lack of responsiveness to abuse
complaints, then customers would complain loudly enough that something
might get done at the provider's end.

Either that, or educate the broadband customers by explaining that much of
the spam and worm traffic they have to deal with originates on their ISP's
network, and the ISP doesn't care enough to do anything about it. That,
too, might generate enough customer complaints to trigger action.

Unfortunately, blacklisting is a much more realistic solution than wholesale
user education, so yes, blacklisting such providers is probably the only
workable solution.

Adam