Re: Formatting a partition for Windows XP

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 23:53, Tom Kuiper wrote:
> I'm familiar with fdisk and used that on a previous attempt. (I'm doing it
> again because the disk failed and hope to get the Windows partition right
> this time.)
--snip--
> Maybe if I pick the right partition type, I won't have the "too large"
> error?
>
> Thanks for your help so far.  I may be getting somewhere now.

Well, just to give you a different alternative. If all you want is a
BACKUP, and you have enough free space on an existing partition, I'd
suggest just using dd and dumping into a file. Then you'll just have a
30 GB file on your drive that you can do with as you please. If you ever
need to get to the files you can either mount the file via a loop back
device, or if you need to restore her system, you can just dd the file
back onto the drive and it'll be in the exact same state it was in when
you originally backed the stuff up.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837