Re: baysian filtering

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

On 2004-05-05, William Ballard penned:
On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 11:49:20PM -0700, William Ballard wrote:
filter the spam?  and do Bayesian filtering myself on mail I get from
the lists?  I think I read that so far only Bayesian filtering works
and

Speaking of Baysian.  Lately I've been getting a lot of spam (to me
directly, not to the list) with a long-winded joke in the body.  The
email has a spammy subject and a few bizarre keywords in it, but mostly
it's this long-winded joke, with well-formed grammar, proper spelling,
etc.  It's even plain text; no HTML involved.  I've even caught myself
reading a few of them, then feeling rather dirty.

Anyway, I dutifully pipe them through sa-learn, but I worry.  If these
spams look so much like regular mail, won't I just end up tainting my
baysian library by teaching sa-learn with them?  I mean, eventually,
won't my baysian scheme be unable to distinguish between spam and ham?
Yes, it could be. But actualy BN does not look at an email the same way as we do.. It will mostly trigger on the 'bizarre keyword' that appears in spams and not in regular emails.

Don't worry. BN used to do less mistakes than human :-)

Regards,

dreier.

Thoughts?