ext3 journal problem

There is a faulty ext3 journal on my Debian desktop system (currently on laptop),
blocking booting or e2fsck.
The precipating event may have been the copying of a tarball to /root/ which exceeded Root's reserve space.
The shut down appeared normal, but the reboot failed.

I have an alternate RedHat partition for developement purpuses.
When I try to fsck  the Debian /dev/sda2 therefrom,
there is a complaint about the Journal and fsck quits.

How could I disable the ext3 Journal, so that the file system could be more directly FSCKed?

MarvS