Re: ide-scsi with 2 drives

Alvin Oga <aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com> writes:

> bad idea .. esp if the drives are NOT the same ata-33, ata-66 or ata-100
> or ata-133 speeds

I agree that in general this is a bad idea, but some tests seemed to show
me that pluging the optical drives as slaves to the hd's as masters does
*not* slow them down with my specific hardware. My usage pattern (see other
message in this thread) seemed to suggest this layout. I'm still experimenting
and it might very well still turn out that it was in fact a bad idea...

> both dvd drives should be on its own ide cable or at least on the
> 3rd ide cable probably connected to the extra pci controller or the
> unused raid port on the motherboard

So you are saying that I can plug the dvd drives in the raid port?
Interesting, I didn't know that.

> if "hd performance" is important ...
> 	- is it tuned with hdparm ?

I try my best...

> 	( like enabling U1 will usually increase performance by about 5%
>  	( which is verifiable by having 2 identical system side by side,
> 	( and the only difference being -U1 or -U0

After reading the man page I didn't feel like playing with that one ;-)

> 	- you will get the fastest disk transfers with one disk per ide
> 	cable

I do need two hd's and one optical drive. The other one I could leave away.

> 	- you should also have tagged IDE turned on in the kernel

Must check that (I'm on another machine just now).

> [other useful stuff snipped]

Thanks a lot,
Robert Epprecht