Re: KDE 3.3.1 issue

On Thursday 30 December 2004 01:43 am, Aditya Pratap wrote:
> Hi,
> Yesterday I tried to upgrade KDE from 3.2 to 3.3.1. This is how I tried
> to do
> $ apt-get install kdebase
> $ apt-get install kde
>
> After the installation, I tried to log into KDE.
> After loging in I found that no applications are listed in the K-Menu.
> That is, when I click on the "K" button, there is nothing between "All
> Applications" and "Actions".
> Nothing happens when I right click the desktop and choose - 'Configure
> Desktop' or when I right click the panel and choose 'Configure Panel'.
> I think, I have completely messed up my KDE. I can log in to GNOME but
> still I want to sort out this issue as well.
> I request your suggestions.
>
> --
> Aditya Pratap V.,
> Goshamahal, Hyderabad - 12,
> Phone: 040-24742258,
> Mobile : 09391370223.
I'm pretty sure this is s known bug (from sid) and if you are using
apt-listbugs as part of your installation process you will avoid this "most"
of the time. ( it is after all, called unstable for a reason:-) If you can
still log into gnome you have not really damaged your system. Just uninstall
kde completely and reinstall the individual apps, staying away from the
'metapackages', there seems always to be bugs in these things anyway, (sorry
maintainers,  fact not criticism) I use the kde-package manager to do all
this and most of the ime avoid these issues by watching the bug list report
that pops up prior to installation. I check the bug to see if I want to risk
it and proceed from there.
Good Luck!
--
John Foster