Re: ide-scsi with 2 drives

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 12:38 -0900, Greg Madden wrote:
>> On Wednesday 29 December 2004 10:35 am, Robert Epprecht wrote:

>> > Up to now I had one hd and one dvd writer and everything worked fine.
>> > Now I have added a second hd and a dvd rom drive:
>> >
>> > /dev/hda   hd
>> > /dev/hdb   dvd writer
>> > /dev/hdc   hd
>> > /dev/hdd   dvd rom
>> >
>> > A short test with another OS (no, it's debian woody ;-) without
>> > ide-scsi seems to do fine with all of them.
>> >
>> > The trouble starts when I want to use ide-scsi to burn cds or dvds.
>> > This time I boot sid (but I don't think this makes the difference)
>> > with 'hdb=ide-scsi' as kernel parameter in grub menu.lst (it's a
>> > 2.4.24 kernel). I can mount the dvd writer as /dev/scd0, but I cannot
>> > mount /dev/hdd. I tried /dev/scd1, which (to my big surprise) mounts
>> > the same drive as /dev/scd0.
>> >
>> > I have tried appending 'hdb=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi' as kernel
>> > parameters, and a couple of other things, but had no success yet. I
>> > must be doing something wrong...

>> I have found mixing hd's & cd'd on the same IDE  controller to cause
>> issues. I have even had issues with the position of the drives on the
>> ribbon cable, depending on the UDMA number of the device. I would start
>> with hd's on one cable  & cd/dvd's on the other. Make sure your chipset
>> is supported by kernel. This may be old info as I have been running
>> scsi mostly.

I'm still hoping someone tells me this *is* old info...

> But then performance will take a hit.

That's the point. This computer is used as an audio workstation, so
hd performance is very important. I don't care about performance
of the optical drives, that's why I did put the hd's as masters
on both channels.

> OP could run a 2.6 kernel and not use ide-scsi.
hmm...

> ide-cd works fine for me...

It always did for me, only this time I can't make it work.
Do you mix hds and cd/dvd drives on the same ide channel?

How can I tell the kernel/module that hdd should *not* be under ide-scsi?
Or how can I tell ide-scsi that hdd is not the same drive as hdb?

Ron and Greg, thanks a lot for your answers,
Robert Epprecht