Re: 2 GB RAM support in woody

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 07:49:07 -0800 (PST), saravanan ganapathy
<sarav_gsa@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have done recompile using kernel-source-2.4.18 and
> after reboot I got the following error
>
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
> VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly
> kernel panic no init found , try passing init= option
> to kernel
>
> How to solve this problem? Please help me
>
> Sarav

Well, obviously your kernel cannot find init. On my box it is in
/sbin/init, and is likely the same for yours. What is happening is
that your kernel is looking somewhere for init and not finding it,
either as a result of an improperly mounted filesystem or lack of its
existence. See what init other kernels find and try passing the path
to one on a properly mounted root file system by passing a correct
"root=" option (like "root=/dev/hda1") and init option (like
"init=/sbin/init") and see where that might get you. I seem to
remember that one could define where init is in the kernel
configuration, or just pass it at boot time.

--Jonathan