Re: script help

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:26:17 +0100, Bob Alexander <bob@ngi.it> wrote:
> I keep a few different kernel source trees under /usr/src and each of
> them has a different .config file.
>
> Part of my pre-backup script I would like to run a command such as
>
> find /usr/src -name .config
>
> for example:
>
> /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9-rja/.config
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.10-rja/.config
>
> and for every match write a file to my /backup_data directory with a
> filename that is made up like "kernel-source-2.6.9-rja.config" and
> "linux-2.6.10-rja.config" or some similar unique filename which relates
> the the kernel tree.

With 'find' you can -exec on each result.

For example (note the trailing \; is required to end the exec string.
find will execute all commands until that is found.):

find /usr/src -name ".config" -exec cp {} /backup_data{} \;

{}  will be expanded to the entire path of the found file. The above
line won't work because cp won't create the entire path
"/backup_data/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.9-rja/.config" :) You might
want to process {} to create a proper destination.

Hope that Helps!

--
Darryl
smartssa@gmail.com