Re: Multiple installed kernel-image packages?

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 13:15, Paul Gear wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> A quick question: is there a way to get apt to install new kernel-image
> packages rather than upgrade them, and keep the existing kernel-image
> package installed as well?

I'm using grub, and debian puts in an entry for every installed kernel
(actually you can specifiy a limit in the grub config file).  I don't think
its doing the same thing with lilo - it just keeps the last two I believe.

> Back on Red Hat, i could 'rpm -iv' (install) a new kernel package rather
> than 'rpm -Uv' (upgrade), and it would update grub's menu.lst and make
> the new one the default without affecting the currently-installed one.
> Is there an equivalent to this under Debian?

Yes - you can either specify the latest to be the default, or you can have it
remember the last one booted, and automatically select that.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk