Exim4. When smarthost fails

Had messages frozen. Reset bounce timeout to hours. Messages unfrozen, errors
ignored but messages not sent.

Posting on this list about exim_tidydb. Tried that. No more frozen messages
but smarthost timed out and nothing was sent. Contacted the provider being
used as the smarthost but these guys maybe know Windows.

Meanwhile, exim4 is perfectly capable of being its own "provider". So for now,
no more smarthost, even though it was recommended for the variable IP DNS. At
least I can get mail out (to tolerant destinations?).

I googled, found no other traffic on this issue. Provider problem or new exim4
bug?