Re: deleted /boot files

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 06:31:49PM -0500, Harland Christofferson wrote:
> At Monday, 27 December 2004, you wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 01:59:53PM -0500, Harland Christofferson wrote:

> >> 17:47]:

> >> okay, tried this symlink for /boot and / but the kernel continues
> >> to panic.
> >>

> >I'm coming in late on this thread, so have missed earlier info., but
> >is the kernel that you loaded into /boot the exact same kernel that
> >you were using before you wiped out /boot? If not, you have
> >mis-matching modules in /lib/modules. Under /lib/modules there should
> >be a directory for each kernel version that you have ever run on
> >this computer. Make sure you have a directory for whatever kernel
> >version you are attempting to use now.
> >
> >HTH
> >

> they are indeed mismatched kernels ... does this mean i need to reinstall?
>
> i am copying tomsrtbt now in hope that i can get the system running

I have never done what I am about to suggest, but try this:

1. copy the whole contents of the directory /lib/modules/xxx/ from the
computer where you got your replacement /boot onto the computer that
you are trying to get going again. Here 'xxx' represents the kernel version
string of the kernel that you hope to use.

2. Make sure the soft link in the / directory does point to the kernel binary
that you want to use in /boot. And make sure that /initrd.img hot link points
to the new initrd.img... in /boot

3. run lilo again after you have done the above

4. reboot and see what happens.

HTH
--
Paul E Condon