thank you

thank you so much sam!
I will try to understand and play with your suggestion today.

 but my main interest is other network applications besides ssh, that are
themseelves not dependant upon ssh, that the same have behavior (checking
reverse dns) that is parallel to that of ssh, which also time out on debian
and not on redhat 7.3 or fedora (with no nameserver configured).

If it is an ssh configuration thing itself (rather than a reverse dns
configuration issue, which i had hoped ...) then I am still messed up,
because I dont know how to turn off the behavior in those other applications
(unless your method works for all of them!!! which i will check today!!!)
unless I can figure out where the parallel setting is for reverse dns on that
application as well...
I am using ssh (or telnet which has similar behavior) as the "miner's canary"
fro reverse dns problems. (quote from a linux book i was reading).
MItchell