Re: remove perl

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 12:54:39AM -0800, saravanan ganapathy wrote:
> Refer the url for more details
> http://linux.math.tifr.res.in/doc/securing-debian-howto/ch3.en.html

They say that having perl on a box may help attackers to further
comprimise your system or other systems after they have already broken
in.  They also say that it's not possible to remove perl without
rewriting essential parts of Debian.  So the answer is, you can't do it.

If I were you, I would concentrate on keeping attackers out.  The
presence of perl does not help attackers break into your system.

Even openbsd (which is widely regarded as the most secure unix-like
operating system) has perl in the base system.  Freebsd and netbsd
don't, but this isn't for security reasons.  You could try one of those
if you really don't want perl.