Re: Linux Functionality?

On Sunday 26 December 2004 12:01 am, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 16:46 +1100, Sam Watkins wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 08:33:50PM -0500, Curt Howland wrote:
> > > I view/listen all kinds of multimedia, but don't expect to get
> > > entirely away from the megahertz requirements. While Linux is
> > > much more resource friendly than Windows, movies still require at
> > > least 800MHz to be viewable while doing anything else at the same
> > > time.
> >
> > It depends what type of movies.  Normal not-too-big mpeg movies
> > work fine on a 200Mhz pentium mmx.  mpeg4 / divx / dvd movies may
> > require a faster machine.
> >
> > > There is no functionality of Windows that is not equaled or
> > > bettered in Debian Linux.
> >
> > The only important thing Windows does better than Debian is
> > implementing the win32 platform.  Unfortunately there is some good
> > software that some people find necessary that runs on Windows and
> > won't run under wine.  I imagine business people with custom
> > applications may find this a compelling reason to stay with
> > windows.
> >
> > The are plenty of things that windows apparently does better than
> > Debian.  But in my opinion there are vastly, overwhelmingly more
> > things that Debian does better than windows (the things that I
> > think matter).

 Just a nit pick but it is not Windows that does anything better than
*nix. In fact as an OS *nix is much better,(security comes to mind,
open source/API's available in Linux), this doesn't mean that windows
is better, it means a third party software vendor ported their app to
Win32 not Linux. Don't confuse the OS with applications that run on the
OS.

--
Greg C. Madden