Re: Using Debian as an Access Point?

On Thursday 23 December 2004 05:45, Bruce Park wrote:

> >>Yes, it's certainly possible. Get a card which supports the hostap
> >>driver. I have some notes which you may be able to use.
> >><http://www.sentinel.dk/cookbook/?Wireless_cards_%2F_access_points>
> >>
> >>Don't mind the first half of the recipe where I absolutely feel
> >> like using the hostap driver for the non-AP nodes. Today I simply
> >> use the orinoco driver for new nodes since this works
> >> out-of-the-box with the Sarge installer, anyway.
> >>
> >>Best regards,
> >>--
>
> I would like to use my router (Linux machine) to act as an AP. It
> looks like this can be done according to the link above.
>
> Now, can anyone recommend a card that will work in Linux?

I'm using a Netgear MA311 802.11b wireless adapter as AP.

> Furthermore, the link only shows WEP encryption. I want to be able to
> do WPA. Is this possible using a Debian machine?

Don't know about WPA, but you should probably use some sort of VPN
solution for your WLAN, anyways. I use OpenVPN for various reasons.
--
Frederik Dannemare | mailto:frederik@dannemare.net
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=Frederik+Dannemare