Re: gimp: Bug in Print dialog with some PPD files

--- Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org> wrote:

"M Mestnik) (Shared Account" <barbm@filbert.is-a-geek.org> - Fri, Dec
24, 2004:

> Maby telling CUPS you would like to use foomatic-rip as an input
filter you
> will then get the features in gimp to work, as the PPD your using is
made
> for foomatic not CUPS.  Foomatic will read your 'printcap' file to
find the
> PPD to use, so you must put the "ppd=" option into your printcap.

 Ok, it's an interesting point that some PPD might be fit for certain
 uses and not other.

 This leaves three problems:
 - documenting what PPD types are suite for GIMP, CUPS etc. in each
   program ("select a _printing_ PPD", or "select a _rendering_ PPD"
   etc.),
  There is a Specification, I have yet to find a program in debian that
followe it.  All of these programs should use a central library to
read/understant/execute PPD files.  This library should then be made to
follow the Specs...
http://lprng.sourceforge.net/DISTRIB/RESOURCES/DOCS/5003.PPD_Spec_v4.1.pdf

 - documenting what PPD types are provided in the PPD databases in
   Debian,
   I think the PPDs provided by foomatic(upstram) are shiped with
foomatic(Debian) simply for conformity with other distos.  I would
recomend ignoring these and making/getting your own PPD with this site...
http://linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

 - fixing the bug in the GUI where incorrect values make the dialog
   behave wildly.
   This hopefully would be fixed with the libPPD, several UIs should be
able to be used as a backend(x, tk, gnome, kde, console AKA dialog) for
libPPD.  This would ensure that every application, that uses libPPD,
displays the same print dialog.

 Thanks for the information and merry christmas!

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>