Re: {advocay] Linspire machine

On Sat, 2004-12-25 at 00:01 -0500, stan wrote:
> I bought a machine with Linspire preloaded on it today. Nice machien,
> and cheaper than I could build it. A bit short on RAM, and the CD is a
> reader only (no CD writer or DVD). But great value for the $299.
>
> Reading through the manual that comes with it, I find no information as
> to how to use the preloaded software, but quite a bit of nformation
> relative to wiping it and installing various flabors of M$ OS'es.
>
> Here's my concern. It appears that the promary intent of this is not to
> encourage the new users that might buy this amchine to learn to use
> Linux, but instead a way to sell them a machine W/O the M% tax, and
> encourage them to load a pirated copy of a M$ OS on it.
>
> This really seems like a bad light to cast the Linux comunity in, IMHO.
>
> What are otheres prespective on this?

Where did you buy it?  Maybe *they* are just using it as a way to
sell sans-MS-tax systems.  But if that's the case, they should
ship it with FreeDOS, instead.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"What's your genius, perfect 20 years too late Monday morning
quarterback answer to how the US should have responded to the
Soviet invasion of Afghanistan? Oh wait, you're just talking crap
- you don't have a real answer, you're just regurgitating crap
from NPR."
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=76597&cid=6839483