Re: incremental backups howto?

hi ya joao

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004, Joao Clemente wrote:

> I have the notion of what an incremental backup is... it would be
> keeping the "delta" from the last state, but how is this done in
> practice?

in real life ... very few people check that backup does in fact work
by trying to restore ALL their data on a virgin disk
	- in doing that simple rebuild, you will find all kinds
	of problems with ones current backup scheme, or at least
	things you care about

> Is it done with "tar" with some flag? Can we compress the
> backups (tar.[gz|bz2])

i always use tar zcvf backup.date.tgz  "list of files"

- some folks do NOT like compressed backups

- warm backup servers, like carl's initial post, cannot use "tgz" files

	- but for sanity sake, to know what changed on what day,
	it's always a good idea to keep a log of what changed when
	( separates teh men from the boyz )

> or it needs to be uncompressed to create the
> "delta"? Can we do a "2nd_delta" from a "backup + 1rst_delta"? Or the
> "2nd_delta" is created directly from "backup" therefore overriding the
> need for the "1rst_delta"?

separateing the men from the boyz....
	- you always backup from the last full backup
	and you "UNCONDITIONALLY GUARANTEE" that full backups
	does in fact worked

	- i use 3 methods to recreate a full backup at any given point
	time  ( daily backups, weekly incrementals, monthly incrementals)

	- incrementals used to recreate full backups untill "today"
	from a working good full backup 3 months ago ..
	when you just found out today, that last 2 monyhs of full
	backups was never done for goffy reasons but
	incrementals was working .. etc
	( or incrementals died but full backups working )

	- or if both full and incremental backups failed,
	since somebody pulled the power plug or the disks crashed
	or ??? ... gazillion ways for backups to fail since nobody
	watch it constantly

> Maybe its not even done with "tar"... I keep thinking on "diff's" and
> "patch's" but maybe its not the same here.

rdiff backups is good ..
	- it'd be super fast to only backup the changed inode
 	( sorta bleeding edge stuff in linux land )

	- remembering, that backups has to be 100% guaranteed that
	you can recover corp data at any date in the past

> If one needs the (uncompressed) initial tar available from a backup to
> find the "delta", this means we need a "2xN" disk, where "N" is the info
> we have in disk.. so you could only do incremental backups in a disk
> with less than 50% occupation.. rigth or wrong?

depends on data types
	- some data... you can compress 10:1

	- other data, you cannot compress any more
	( *.bz or *.mpeg or *.lib would be hard to compress further )

	- most people do NOT have 100% disk utilizations

	- usually people have older smaller capacity disks
	than what is currently available today for a reasonable
	backup budget

	- i can usually store 6months - 1 year of full backups
	for all servers
		A backups to B
		B backups to C
		C backups to D

		A, B, C backups to (warm,live) MasterBackup

> What do you say? Pointer to right commands/howto's? Thanks

some/lots of the backup examples
	Linux-backup.net

- easiest backup ( run it from cron )
	-- always manually mount the backups ...

		- it avoids the "rm -rf /" that your backup will
		be left unaffected since it's not automounted

	#
	# last 8 days of changes, do it daily
	#
	mount /mnt/BACKUP ; tar zcvf /mnt/BACKUP/datecode.daily.tgz \
		` find /etc /home -mtime -8 -print" ; umount /mnt/BACKUP

	#
	# last 90 days of changes, do it weekly
	mount /mnt/BACKUP; tar zcvf /mnt/BACKUP/datecode.weekly.tgz
		` find /etc /home -mtime -95 -print" ; umount /mnt/BACKUP

	- use a script to exclude and filter out crap you
	do not want in the backups

- pick your backup media
	- backup to tape
	- backup to disks
	- backup to cdrom/dvd
	- backup to laptop/palmtop or vice versa

- understand how your backups will fail
	- disk crash
	- bad nic card
	- bad hardware ( bad memory, bad disk, bad computer room policy)
	- janitor/you pulling and wiggling the plug

- choose what you want to backup
	- /etc ?? /home ??
	- windoze backup to linux or linux mount and backup windoze shares

- know how to restore a full system from backups only
  onto a brand new disk or raid array

	- do not emulate or pretend that backups works
	if i did this and that ... "do it for real"
	and diff that disk against the original it supposed
	to represent and be a warm backup of the master

- use a backup method that you understand and know
  what it will backup and why and when it will fail

c ya
alvin