Re: Problem with mii-tool...

Skylar Thompson wrote:

Norbert Gruener wrote:

It's kernel 2.4.27 which is part of Sarge.
Weird. A friend of mine has a Dell laptop with a Broadcom 4400 running Debian Woody with the v2.4. I'll see if I can take a look at the boot sequence when she's in town next week, and let you know what I see. I don't remember seeing it, but I've never looked for it either.

I got a hold of the laptop, and noticed that error too. I upgraded it to v2.6, and still saw the error. It looks like it might be an issue with the NETDEV WATCHDOG (which I'm guessing reacts to state changes in the NIC). The state for the NIC when the driver is initially loaded is set to down, and it takes a few seconds for the watchdog to switch the state to up.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/