Re: CPU Frequency scaling applet not working

On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 17:42 +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:
> I am running my rebuilt system and still have a few minor glitches.
> Please be patient :)
>
> The GNOME CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor 0.3.1 installed from the
> corresponding Debian sid package now only show the CPU frequency but
> does not permit me to select/change to tother frequencies.
>
> Reading in the applet doc I could think the kernel was not built with
> frequency scaling but I am using the same .config that worked on the
> crashed system.
>
> Under you can see the relevant .config lines for my 2.6.9 kernel for my
> T40 Thinkpad.
>
> Thank you for any help,
> Bob
>
> #
> # APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS Support
> #
> CONFIG_APM=y
> # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
> CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
> CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
> CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
> CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
> CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
> # CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF is not set
>
> #
> # CPU Frequency scaling
> #
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_PROC_INTF=y
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_24_API is not set
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
>
> #
> # CPUFreq processor drivers
> #
> # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6 is not set
> # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7 is not set
> # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is not set
> # CONFIG_X86_GX_SUSPMOD is not set
> CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO=y
> CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO_TABLE=y
> # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH is not set
> # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_SMI is not set
> # CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD is not set
> # CONFIG_X86_LONGRUN is not set
> # CONFIG_X86_LONGHAUL is not set

Did you install the cpufreqd? When it's installing (or reconfiguring) it
asks if you want to run it with suid, say yes, restart cpufreqd and
reload the applet, it should work now, it did for me anyway.

Cheers
| -Glyn Tebbutt                                        |
| http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d3c3it/d3c3it.gpg       |
| "Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. |
| The lesson is, never try." - Homer J Simpson         |