Why isn't MPlayer in Debian?

Hello,

I'm curious about why there isn't an MPlayer package in Debian. The
MPlayer website says that "MPlayer is available under the GNU General
Public License v2", so I don't see why it wouldn't be considered "free
software". Even if it wasn't available under a free license, why
wouldn't it be in non-free?

Not that it causes any major problems for me that MPlayer isn't in
Debian, but I'm asking out of curiousity. I don't see why it shouldn't
be in Debian, so by asking this, I'm about to learn something more
about Debian.

Thanks, to anyone who replies!

Regards,

James Foster