Re: Sarge not showing all RAM

JerryN wrote:
Intriguing!  So many words in this track being said but nothing really
of any value whatever...

Very well, Jerry, I feel from your words that my answer has not been helpfull... "nothing really of any value whatever...."

So, either you're stating that my english is so bad that I can't read, understand or write a sentence that makes sense to other, or maybe you're trying to say that I'm just dumping garbage to the mailing list... Before my "clarification" I must say I felt and I feel ofended by what you've said. I have tried to be helpfull. If you believe I have not been, please post your reasons for that claim. If you do that, maybe I can improve the contents of my answers and you improve your ways to comment other peoples attempts without offending.

Well, I'll clarify my answer then:
1) I have read a post from someone that claims that can't see the 2Gb memory it has on the system. He sees less than 1GB. The person said he tried kernel 2.4.27-1-386 and 2.6.8-1-386. 2) That person claims it has another machine in wich he can see the full 1GB kernel. 3) The person stated "Do I miss anything ? I believe that the standard kernel should work with 2GB..."

4) When I posted there had been already a reply stating that to access the full 1GB thr kernel must have the "highmem" option enabled.

I replied SHOWING MY MACHINE DETAILS (therefore providing PROOF of my claims) that a) I am running a 2.6.8-1-686-smp kernel (a standart debian kernel, not a kernel compiled by myself) . b) In my system I can see the full 1 GB memory that is installed (so, SHOWING the problem does not occur if you use the same kernel as I do) c) the kernel parameters that my kernel has enabled and that are allowing the system to see the full 1GB (so that if you decide to compile the kernel you're using presently you know what options to look for)

THEN I SUGGESTED
a) Check the running kernel on the good machine (You're probably using a different kernel so you may try to install in the bad machine the one that is on the good machine - "uname -a" would be a way to check the kernel version -> I HAVE SHOWN WHAT MY SYSTEM REPLYES SO THAT YOU HAVE AN EXAMPLE) b) Install a 686 or a 686-smp kernel. I am not sure if all combinations of kernel-image-2.x.y[-smp] have HIGHMEM options enabled (the ones I SHOWED were enables in my kernel) BUT I BELIEVE they all must have.

SO THIS IS NOT GOOD? NOT A GOOD REPLY? NOT INFORMATIVE? NOT HELPFULL?
Yes, I'm shouting! IF you haven't understood some of my info you could just ASK! Instead of DEGRADING my attempt to help!

"nothing really of any value whatever...."  bah!

What did you wanted me to say?
How to install a package? How to compile a kernel? How to check your kernel version? How to list the available packages? How to check wich processor you have? How do you clean your ass?

I hope you solve YOUR problems! They're not mine! And, for your new-year, I hope you learn how to ask things, or comment on answers, so that people feel good by helping you!

Joao Clemente