Re: Noninteractive "apt-get upgrade "question.

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 10:26:56AM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Sam Watkins(swatkins@fastmail.fm) is reported to have said:
> > I just noticed there are some dpkg options that cause it not to ask
> > these questions.
> >
> >   --force-confold and --force-confnew
> >
> > I wouldn't use --force-confnew, but --force-confold looks good.  One
> > could then merge the config files as a separate task, like gentoo's
> > dispatch-conf, as the new config files would be available as
> > /etc/foo.dpkg-new or /etc/foo.dpkg-dist or something.
> >
> > You can apparently set this option permanently in /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg
> > by adding a line:
> >

> Humm.  I don't seem to have a /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg on my
> testing/unstable box.

I do (using sid).  If its not there you will have to create it.
Here's what's in mine:

# dpkg configuration file
#
# This file can contain default options for dpkg. All commandline
# options are allowed. Values can be specific by putting them after
# the option, seperated by whitespace and/or an `=' sign.
#
no-debsig

I'd skip the "force-overwrite" option from the example!