dpkg install and extract options - are they different from installed files' point of view?

Hi there,

just a simple question -

if I use dpkg -i option, does it do anything extra than resolving
dependencies and extracting the packages?

In other words, if I know about the dependencies of my packages,
simply using the -x (extract) option, would I get a working
installation for a package?

Or to put it differently, does the install option do anything special
about the files installed, or is it exactly the same as extraction
from the state of installed files' point of view?

Many thanks,
Bahadir