Re: Upgrading a 2.2 kernel (3.0r2) to 2.6

On Wednesday 22 December 2004 11:37 pm, Cameron G wrote:
> I'm just wondering, what's the best practice for upgrading a default
> installation 3.0 installation to the latest and greatest? I'd really
> rather avoid rolling my own kernels, it always ends up being a pain
> to maintain, and I have several servers to look after. The reason I'm
> asking is that I just got debian (r2) on a dedicated server over the
> other side of the globe, and I basically went like this:
>
> apt-get install kernel-image-2.6
> vi /etc/lilo.conf   (for adding the initrd stuff)
> /sbin/lilo
> reboot
>
> ... And it unfortunately decided not to come back up. The tech
> support there are playing with it as we speak. So where did I go
> wrong? I've scoured google for the last few hours, all I can seem to
> find are people documenting installing from source, but I'm not
> finding much on "type these 6 commands and it all just magically
> works". Anyone got any suggestions?

Caveat I am not a sys admin..etc., but my experience has indicated a
conflict with kernel 2.6 file system requirements compared to the 2.4
kernel,I could be way of base, but,esp, in a remote admin situation,
until I understood all the ramifications of what a 2.6 kernel requires
I would use the latest 2.4 kernel.

It is said Debian will upgrade from one version to the next, but I
don't, yet, see a smooth transition from 2.4 to 2.6, YMMV.
--
Greg C. Madden