Strange problem: Cannot update password

On Sid:

zsh % passwd
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
zsh %

But it did not!  The old password is still active.

And that is the case for all users on the system - root included.

I have never seen this before on another machine.

Some time ago I have experimented with a test user to test the limits
of passwords - trying to see what the effect of spaces in a password
was.  Could that have broken something?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the
      babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger."
                              Luke 2:12