No net, kernel recompile

I just recompiled a Debian 2.4.18 kernel in Woody. Before, my Orinoco
Silver card was working fine. Now, no network connection.

In the recompile, I also built new modules from pcmcia-cs for the
kernel. Upon bootup, I hear two high-pitched beeps, just as before.
Running lsmod shows that the proper orinoco modules have been
inserted. The light is on on the Orinoco.

Ifconfig lists eth0 for the Orinoco card. The first three lines:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr (then the MAC address . . .)
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

1) Is the problem with the interface instead of the modules for the
card? It seems like DHCP isn't working somehow.

2) With the former kernel, the af_packet module loaded. What is this,
and would it make a difference?

3) Most importantly, if the card is configured correctly, how do I get
it working under the new kernel, like it still does under the old?

Thanks,
Ted Parks