strange problem users retain interface after logout

I have a wireless card, works fine.
Under kernel 2.4.27 everything with the card is perfect.
Under kernel 2.6.7 which I compiled (yea, thats the problem isnt' it) the
following problem:
Machine is booted
user logs in
user has access to internet everything works
user logs out
user (same or different user) logs in
user has no access to internet  nor does root have access to internet
ifdown ath0, ifup ath0 does not fix nor does ifconfig ath0 down, ifconfig ath0
up
only reboot will restore access
iwconfig reports that the card has a correct mac access point
iwconfig reports signal strength is good
ping from either side reports destination unreachable
lsof |grep "previous username" reports a bunch of resources still under
previous users control

I am not smart enough to know which of those resources is the one

Essentially, I think that when a user logs out,  they don't really get logged
out, the users are not intentionally doing any background processes.  One of
the things they keep after logging out is control of the wireless interface.

who and users report the name of the user who was, but no longer is supposed
to be logged in.

I can send the .config for the kernel if it will help, but it seems the only
difference is the kernel.  I am certain I made an error in configuring it,
but I don't know where I should look.  Any ideas?

I don't want to attach the .config without someone requesting it.  Some lists
frown on things like that.