Re: Need urls for apt sources.list

Andrew Konosky wrote:

I have my system up and running, but I am still using the default sources.list and I want to add some more repositories but haven't been able to find any through google searching. What are the standard urls, and what about extra packages and stuff?

There is a list of mirrors here:
http://www.debian.org/mirror/list

I'm not sure what you want to do, but I am new to Debian also. There is a package called netselect it is easy to use it tests your speed to all of the Debian mirrors. In my case I invoke it with netselect -ns sarge and it gives me the fastest mirror and the fastest non-us mirror. But after using it for a while I decided I don't like it and am using apt-spy which is a bit more complicated but one advantage it has is it can output a file of the x best mirrors. apt-spy will write a /etc/apt/sources.list with the best mirror and the security repository. But I don't let it do that I make it output that to a different file. I also make it output a file with the top 5 mirrors and I edit the sources.list by hand to have 5 or so to chose from. I've spent days playing with sources.list and the various apt utilities. I used to use Mandrake and this apt-get stuff is way more fun than rpms. Here is a trick, : dpkg --get-selections > /media/floppy/fearless.list put a label on that floppy saying dpkg --set-selections < /media/floppy/fearless.list that and your install cd will someday make you smile. Debian is fun.