Re: GUI

David Ryan wrote:

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 00:56:52 -0800 (PST)
alireza faryar <affaryar@yahoo.com> wrote:

I am new to debian. I installed on a 100 MHz dell with
about 82 Meg of RAM and two disks, one is 1 G and the
other is 2 G. I could not install all packages that
come with the distribution CDs. I guess it ran out of
space. Can you recommend a GUI to use on such a
machine?

aff

you could consider installing knoppix onto your disks. It comes with about 5 different GUI's, one of which is xfce which I currently use. It is a basic GUI but would be suitable for your needs. When you login, you can choose between GUI's each time to see which one you like.

With the specs the OP gave for the system, Damn Small Linux would be a great choice. One of my current projects is a Pentium Pro-200 with 48MB of RAM 2MB Trident video card, and a 3GB hard drive. I've got Damn Small running nicely on it, and am using IceWM for the desktop. What was really surprising was getting Xine to play AVIs (tested with an episode of the old Dungeons and Dragons cartoon) and QuickTime (using Troops, the Star Wars parody of Cops) movies smoothly despite the real modest hardware specs.

For more info, check out damnsmalllinux.org