Moving from single to multipartition

Dear Debian-friends,
I am moving my fully updated Debian sid from a single partition to a multipartition scheme.

My old "monopartition" which is currently alive is now on /dev/hda12 and is around 3.5 GB.

The doubt I am having is how to properly move the / data to the new 70MB filesystem/partition.

I have two hypothesis:

1) fresh install of sarge netinst to new filesystems, point apt-get to unstable, import dpkg --set-selections, dist-upgrade, upgrade, copy all old /etc data onto the new /etc and the old /home to the new /home.

2) Copy the old /var, /tmp, /usr and /home data onto the new partitions, delete them, copy the rest on the new /

Any advice ??

Please help me understand the proper cpio options for my situation (especially for the / filesystem with /proc and /dev ...).

Thank you in advance,
Robert