Re: Need help with XF86 config

Andrew Konosky wrote:
> After I got the base system installed, I selected "Desktop Environment"
> and apt installed both KDE and Gnome, Gnome as default.

I would like to see "KDE Desktop" and "GNOME Desktop", and not have
both installed.

> I switched it over to KDE and KDM, but the installer didn't set up my
> graphical config right.

yes, had a similar problem here. But as the man said,
      dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

> My Radeon 8500 graphics card and my Philips 107P monitor are detected
> right, and I chose the resolutions I wanted to use during the config,
> but both KDE and gnome defaulted to 800x600 @ 75Hz, and no higher
> resolutions were available.

Available where?  Look in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 towards the end:

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           16
                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

What do you see in yours? You can edit this file and change the order, but
heed the notice at the top of it about customizing the file. Might take a
look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log to see what ails it...

(II) R128(0): Not using default mode "640x350" (vrefresh out of range)
(II) R128(0): Not using default mode "320x175" (vrefresh out of range)
(II) R128(0): Not using default mode "640x400" (vrefresh out of range)
...etc..

> I tried removing all other resolutions than the 1280x1024 which I want to
> use, but I still get 800x600 and 1280x1024 is not even an option. I have
> all these other low resolutions available, but where are they coming from
> and what command do I run to reconfigure the graphics setup?

Sometimes you have to bump the VertRefresh and/or HorizSync up a bit.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
        HorizSync       28-49
        VertRefresh     43-72
        Option          "DPMS"
        Gamma   3.10  3.10  3.10  # created by KGamma