Re: Replacing Dying Harddisk (ReiserFS)

Am Sonntag, 19. Dezember 2004 14:36 schrieb Darryl Clarke:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anybody has any wonderful ideas as to how I should
> go about "ghosting" my existing linux system.
>
> Norton Ghost only supports EXT2/3 for linux and I used ReiserFS so
> using it is out of the question.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas as to how I could transfer my existing
> setup to the new drive?
>
> Old Disk: 8gb /dev/hda
> New Disk: 80gb /dev/sda (currently plugged into USB2, to be moved to
> /dev/hda) Bootloader: Grub
> Filesystems: ReiserFS
>
> Hopefully there's a simple solution ;) Thanks!
>
> --
> Darryl
> smartssa@gmail.com
> http://smartssa.com / http://darrylclarke.com

This is really simple to do. You don't need tools like ghost. You can do
everything with linux' native utils. Just do the following steps:

Plug in your new disk and partition it to your needs. (i'll assume the new
disk is /dev/sda)

Reboot after partitioning

Make a filesystem on the new partition (i'd choose reiserfs or ext3)
 mkfs -t reiserfs /dev/sda1

Mount the new filesystem
 mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/new_disk

Copy the whole old disks contents to the new disk and preserve all file
attributes
 cp -a / /mnt/new_disk

Open a new shell and chroot to the filesystem on the new disk
 chroot /mnt/new_disk

Install a boot loader on the MBR of the new disk (if you have Grub)
 grub-install /dev/sda

Pull out your old disk and insert your new disk.

Reboot and pray ;-)

HTH
-Christian