Re: Backup with versioning

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Bob Alexander wrote:

> Maybe what you say is the right approach also for me and I could just
> use the diff command to compare any restored file and the current version.

things oyu should worry about:

a) how to prove your backups works
	- restore "just the backups" onto a brand new disk[s]
	and pull the plugg on the real server you just rebuilt from
	backups

b) offsite backup if any ... and wny you need it
	- house burns down ??
	- earthquake and tornado ??
	- the haystack for the lawyers to fumble thru few years later
	in court to find who did what and how and where and why

c) cron files for automated backups

d) how and when does backups fail ... and when it fails ... what do you
   lose
	- eg... if full backups fails,,, all future incremental
	backups are worthless

e) how do you compare backup files against the current files on the
   servers

f) backup media
	- tapes vs disks vs cdrom vs paper vs usb sticks vs ??

g) gazillions other fun issues ...
	- how to backup 100TeraBytes of data and no downtime ...
	( thats when things get fun )

> Do you know any other sources of good scripts so that I do not forget
> anything important ?

lots of freebie scrips
	Linux-Backup.net

c ya