Kensington Expert Mouse

I wasn't able to find a solution for my problem in the archive.
I'm using a Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball with 4 buttons (I tried both ways of connecting it to the computer: USB and PS/2, both gave the same result).
Under Xfree86 the 2 lower buttons are recognized as buttons 1 and 3.
The upper 2 buttons are both recognized as button 2.
Is there a way to make xfree distinguish those buttons as 2 different buttons?
I already tried several of the Protocols.
The button number is already set to 4 in the configurationfile.
THX
Thilo