Re: Debian native java

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 02:41:04PM -0500, Tong wrote:
> Is Debian native java OK?

What package/s are you talking about?

I am using blackdown j2re1.4, it works.
I understand the free software java systems don't work 100% yet.

This is the Debian Java FAQ:

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/ch11.html

and here is the relevant bit of it:

11.1 How can I get Debian packages from Blackdown?

If the releases provided aren't recent enough for you, you can of course
install the files from the Blackdown mirrors. You can either use the Debian
packages provided by Blackdown or download their tar files.

If you want to use their packages, add the following line [2] to your
/etc/apt/sources.list:

     deb proto://url/debian potato main non-free
     deb proto://url/debian woody main non-free
     deb proto://url/debian testing main non-free
     deb proto://url/debian unstable main non-free

Where proto://url is one of the mirrors from the list available at
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/mirrors.html. [3] For example, in Debian
3.0 using Metalab's mirror use:

     deb ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian woody main non-free

And then do:

     $ apt-get update
     $ apt-get install j2sdk1.4

(I changed the j2sdk1.3 to j2sdk1.4)

you can also just install j2se1.4 if you don't need the development kit.