Re: Backup with versioning

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004, Bob Alexander wrote:

> In my neverending tweaking of the system I would like to setup a backup
> cron job which would not only (possibly incrementally) save the files or
> directories I indicate, but for /etc and /home would keep the revisions
> of the files in a versioning schema (like rcs, cvs etc.) so that I have
> the possibility of going back to some previous state of the file.

assuming that you do have rcs/cvs properly working ...

what would you do with it ??

	today is Dec-18

	in the cvs tree, you say "restore  Nov 13"
	and what happens to all your files you did NOT wish to restore
	backwards

	if you manually specify, just "restore server1:/etc/sources.list"
	than why is that any different than using tar ??

	server1# cd / ; tar zxvfp /n/server1/etc/sources.list

you can restore manually .. ( probably a good idea ) vs using a gui
that you might not be able to control, or test the files it will
be restoring/extracting before it does it

keeping a tar file of everyday's changes is good enuff ??
which allows you to recover to any particular day from a working
full backup
	- if you cannot guarantee several ways to maintain a working
	full backup, than all incremental changes is worthless

	- i'd spend the time to guarantee "full backups" are NOT
	corrupted or "disk/tape full" instead of worrying about
	restoring/tracking "one" file or "one cvs tree"

- you know your daily cvs treee or backup is working because you
  time stamp each directory after each directory or server is done..
	touch /home/user/...Backup.Done

- backup scripts are all FREE ... and all require tweeking, which
  users and servers you want to backup to where

c ya
alvin