Re: [OT], Database Comparer

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 01:26:18AM +1100, Sam Watkins wrote:
} On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 01:39:29PM -0500, Tong wrote:
} > I'm looking for such a tool (Database Comparer). Any suggestions?
}
} I wrote something in perl that does this, it's called "dbischema".  It
} can get the database schema from an existing database, save it in an xml
} file, and update a database to match the xml file.  It works on mysql,
} msql and postgresql, and it's possible to write more modules to make it
} work with other DBMSs.
}
} It's quite powerful, and has been used to support a large company for
} quite a while.
}
} This program is theoretically owned by a company I used to work for, but
} they're open-source friendly and I don't think they'd mind if you use it.
} I can check if you like, they would probably let me open-source it.
}
} I even have a Debian package :)
[...]
} let me know if you'd like to have a copy of it.

This looks like it would be exceedingly useful to a lot of people. I would
recommend finding a Debian developer to sponsor you (if you aren't one
yourself) and making it available to the Debian community. Assuming you can
get permission, of course.

} Sam
--Greg