Re: Using Debian as an Access Point?

On Saturday 18 December 2004 00.01, Nate Duehr wrote:
> Joey Hess wrote:
> >Nate Duehr wrote:
> >>It's pretty much a roll-your-own kind of thing.  Haven't seen any
> >>Debian-specific packages for creating an AP or making it "easy" yet,
> >>really.  Of course, I'm not looking either... AP's are so cheap it's
> >> not worth the effort unless the application is very specialized.
> >> The PCI-based 802.11b Prism chipset cards cost roughly twice what a
> >> discounted real AP would cost from an online vendor.
> >
> >The nice thing about my linux based AP is that, unlike every
> > proprietary AP I've used, it doesn't randomly lose settings, crash,
> > require some crummy web interface, contain stupid backdoor security
> > problems, etc. My AP also mails me when it sees new clients, has
> > powerful packet filtering and andwidth throttling capailities, and
> > can be upgraded with apt-get.
>
> Hmm, I wonder if you've been using the combined AP/Router things.  My
> three standard AP's (no routing capabilities and NO intelligence
> on-board - Linksys WAP-11's) have worked fine for years... I have a
> version 1, 1.2, and 2.  Agreed that the AP/Router things are a giant
> pain.  The only one I'd consider is the new Linksys one that runs Linux
> under the hood and lots of people have alternate flash images for.
> (That one looks fun.)

What exactly is the problem with the wireless routers? I was just about to
buy one and would like to know more about you experiences. Loose
settings, crash? That doesn't sound good. I was hoping to make it easier
for myself by having all that stuff separated from my linux machine.
Should I not?

Best regards
Olle Eriksson